Rationale for Teacher and Leader Evaluation in Florida
- Senate Bill 736.
- District evaluation systems support effective instruction & student learning growth
- DOE approves school district evaluation systems & monitor for compliance
- Charter school compliance with provisions related to performance evaluations
- Evaluation systems provide appropriate instruments, procedures, and criteria for continuous improvement
- Use data from multiple sources including input from parents
- Four levels of performance (highly effective, effective, *needs improvement, unsatisfactory)
- At least 50% of the evaluation is based on student learning growth
- Based on contemporary research
- Indicators based on each of the Florida Educator Accomplished Practices (FEAPs)
§Leader evaluations based on each of the Florida Principal Leadership Standards (FPLS)
DOE reports annually to the public on performance ratings including the percent of teachers and leaders receiving each rating
School reports to parents when their child’s teacher or principal has received unsatisfactory ratings for two consecutive years
- The state Board of Education shall adopt rules…to establish uniform procedures for the submission…and approval of evaluations of teachers and leaders.
- Race to The Top.
- Rewards states leading the way in comprehensive, coherent, statewide education reform across four key areas:
- Adopting standards and assessments that prepare students to succeed in college and the workplace;
- Building data systems that measure student growth and success, and inform teachers and principals how to improve instruction;
- Recruiting, developing, rewarding, and retaining effective teachers and principals, especially where they are needed most; and
- Turning around their lowest-performing schools.
Florida worked diligently to bring together broad statewide support from superintendents, school board members, teachers and teacher associations for the Race to the Top application
- New Expectations.
- Higher expectations from citizens
- New academic standards
- New national and statewide assessments
- Supporting Documents & Videos.
Phase 1 Technical Assistance Workshop Agenda
Agenda for Phase 1 Regional Technical Assistance Workshops
Danielson SBI Alignment Chart
The Charlotte Danielson Framework for Effective Teaching and Alignment to Standards-Based Instruction
FEAP Alignment Chart
Teacher Evaluation Systems Alignment: The Florida Educator Accomplished Practices (FEAPs), Robert Marzano, & Charlotte Danielson
Charter School Checklist
Checklist for Instructional Personnel and School Administrator Evaluation Systems
FEAPS Understanding SBE Rule 6A
Understanding SBE Rule 6A-5.065: The Florida Educator Accomplished Practices
High Effect Size Strategies
List of Indicators that have a Positive Impact on Student Learning Growth
Florida Research Frameworks
Definition and Description of Approved Research Frameworks for Evaluation
Marzano SBI Alignment Chart
The Florida State Model for Classroom Teacher Professional Learning and Evaluation and Alignment to Standards-Based Instruction