Growing Professionally and Engaging in Deliberate Practice
- Clear, Measurable Professional Growth Goals.
- Deliberate Practice is a “way of work” that supports continuous professional improvement through an entire career. It is a mindset, acquired through pursuit of personal mastery and with collegial support, whereby the educator attends to what they are doing in the classroom on a daily basis to identify what is working and what isn’t and to determine why students are learning or not. In deliberate practice teachers identify specific instructional strategies (“thin slices”) to focus their efforts to improve – typically 1 to 3 per year. Deliberate practice requires establishing a baseline for performance in a focus area (the “thin slice”) and engaging in focused practice, feedback and monitoring of progress within a time-bound goal for improvement. Deliberate practice has been revealed by research as a mindset that distinguishes master teachers who improve steadily throughout their career from others whose improvement plateaus after initial growth.
- Teachers can easily describe what they are working on to improve their practice and they know where they are in the progress toward those goals in measurable terms
- Engage in professional development directly aligned to their professional growth targets
- Work with others who have the capacity to support their growth
- Student Achievement Data at the Core.
- Teachers can explain how their professional growth targets impact student learning outcomes
- Teachers measure their progress in terms of student learning gains
- Teachers are aware of high effect size practices and have chosen their targets based on what research shows has a high impact on student learning
- Implementation of Strategies for Improved Performance.
- Consistent implementation of the new practices
- Consistent, steady improvement with the new practices is recorded
- Cause and effect data is available and used as a monitoring device
- Supporting Documents & Videos.
Florida’s Common Language of Instruction
Marzano SBI Alignment Chart
The Florida State Model for Classroom Teacher Professional Learning and Evaluation and Alignment to Standards-Based Instruction
Danielson SBI Alignment Chart
The Charlotte Danielson Framework for Effective Teaching and Alignment to Standards-Based Instruction
Data Analysis and Cause and Effect
Corresponding Handout for Data Analysis and Cause and Effect from Phase 4 Certification Training for Download and Use as Professional Development in Florida Charter Schools
Achieving Professional Growth Goals with Deliberate Practice
Corresponding Handout for Achieving Professional Growth Goals with Deliberate Practice from Phase 4 Certification Training for Download and Use as Professional Development in Florida Charter Schools
Deliberate Practice Learning Goal Template
Template for Developing and tracking Deliberate Practice Growth Targets
Certification Training Agenda
Agenda for Phase 4 Certification Trainings
High-Effect Size Practices & Teacher Evaluation
Presentation Slides for High-Effect Size Practices & Teacher Evaluation from Phase 4 Certification Training for Download and Use as Professional Development in Florida Charter Schools
Implementing High-Effect Size Strategies
Corresponding Handout for High-Effect Size Practices & Teacher Evaluation from Phase 4 Certification Training for Download and Use as Professional Development in Florida Charter Schools
High Effect Size Strategies
List of Indicators that have a Positive Impact on Student Learning Growth
Instructional Strategies- Force in Motion
Video of an Elementary Teacher Demonstrating High Effect Size Instructional Strategies.
Video of a High School Principal Explaining How Teachers set Deliberate Practice Goals.
High Performance Schools
Video of an Elementary School Teacher Speaking about School Success.
Strong Classroom Management
Video of a High School Teacher Discussing Engaging Teaching Strategies and Demonstrating a Chemistry Experiment